Posted on 07 August 2012 by VinnieAve
Posted on 25 July 2012 by VinnieAve
I’m not going to be doing Vin’s Picks this week since there is a ton of stuff I still need to do for Otakon. Instead I am posting a list of events I intend to attend. I hope to see you there.
10 AM Anime News Network Panel 1
11:30 Video Games as Literature: Towards a New Criticism Panel 2
12:30 Crunchyroll Industry Panel 1
12:30 Gen Unobuchi Q&A Panel 3
1:45 Viz Media Animation Panel 1
4:15 Blood and Honor: Story of the Samurai in Japanese Cinema Panel 4
5:30 New Anime for Older Fans Panel 1
6:45 Funimation Sneak Peeks Panel 3
11:30 The Perverted Genius of Go Nagai Panel 2
12:30 Anime’s Craziest Deaths Panel 3
9 NIS America Anime Panel 2
9 Fandom and Criticism: The Art of Active Viewing Panel 5
10:30 Satelight: An Introduction Panel 5
10:30 Anime and Manga Studies: Three Decades In
2 Aniplex of Anime Industry Panel 1
3:15 Maruyama & MAPPA Q&A Panel 4
4:30 Gundam Offical Panel Presented by Sunrise Panel 1
4:30 Funimation Industry Panel Panel 3
4:30 The Worst Anime of All Time Panel 5
5:30 Anime Archive Project – Preseving the Good and Bad of US Anime Fandom Panel 6
11:15 Dubs that Time Forgot Panel 4
11:30 Lupin the Third: 40+ Years of Heists and Hijinks
11:30 The “Art” of Fanservice
1 Navigating LGBT/Queer Identities and Issues within Japanese Media and Cultural Appreciation Panel 1
9:30 Geneon, a Funimation Retrospective Panel 3
10:30 The Gundam Experience 2012 Panel 6
10:45 Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel 1
12 Legal Fansubbing on Viki Panel 1
1 Vertical 2012 Panel 4
2 Closing Ceremonies and Con Feedback Session Panel 3
Posted on 06 July 2012 by VinnieAve
Last week I talked about Cosplay but this week is just my hopes and dreams. This was made harder in the past week since everything was announced at AX and we’ve been promised that more things will still be announced at Otakon at the end of the month. I’m going to make some guesses which are really just hopes and if any of these things are liscenced I will die of happiness.
1) More Gundam releases in the US – Earlier this year we saw the shuttering of Bandai Entertainment. With them went the release of ∀ Gundam that was announced for DVD release. I was seriously hoping for this one since I’ve tried to stop downloading as many fansubs for shows that are expected to be released. I hope that some company here is working out a deal with Sunrise to get these shows out in some reasonable release format.
2) Shin Mazinger – Everyone’s favorite company announced this year that Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo. This means that Dynamic Pro is willing to work with American companies. This show was big a few years ago when it came out and the mecha fans assumed it would get released here but it never came to pass. I’d like to hear some company rep say these words: We will be doing a home release of Shin Mazinger.
3) Mawaru Penguindrum – I watched a little bit of this in Fansubs last year but as always I failed to keep up with a show and it gets to be a pain to download a show every week when the vast majority of good shows are streaming. This show was interesting for the ten or so episodes that I watched. It’s only a year old and was decently popular with the people who watched it but I know a decent number of people are waiting for a home release, I am among them.
4) Shotaro Ishinomori manga – For the past several years we have had many successful releases of Tezuka manga, I have no problem with this and I will keep buying those but Shotaro Ishinomori is a major mangaka that has very little interaction in this nation but is a huge influence on the history of manga but we get nothing here.
5) Legend of the Galactic Heroes- I will always ask for this, every year. There is a podcast about this that I have sitting on my hard drive that has to get released.
Posted on 28 June 2012 by VinnieAve
With Otakon less than a month away, I decided I’m going to do a series of preview articles that cover some of the things I would like to see and some of the things I expect to see. This week I’m covering Cosplay, there are two lists that are going to be costumes that I think are going to be popular this year and a second list that covers costumes that I want to see and will be looking for.
1) Hunger Games – This is one of the movies that everyone saw this year and is pretty recognizable. I think there are going to be a pile of people going as pre-games character and I think we’re going to see a few Seneca Cranes with poorly done make-up for the beard.
2) The Avengers – This is particular to the movie. There will be a handful of each of the major characters from both the most recent and some using costumes from previous films. I think that the most common costume will be Black Widow. This is a pretty easy costume to do which is sign of a costume being prevalent.
3) Saga – This one crosses the line between both want and expect. This is a pretty popular comic that I think has some pretty strong anime/manga appeal. Actually that might be the kiss of death for it at an anime con. Maybe I should wait until NYCC.
4) My Little Pony Friendship is Magic – This is the obvious one. Everyone knows we are going to see plenty of these but otherwise this would be a major oversight. I think we’re going to see a ton of Mane Six (but an overabundance of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy) and then good scattering of the rest of the cast.
5) Young Justice – This is another show that is pretty popular among the anime con attending crowd. Some of the costumes aren’t that hard to pull off and these are pretty recognizable to most of the attendees.
6) Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender – This is another one that has been popular for a few years now and with a few TV show that is pretty popular I think we’ll see a ton of these
7) Homestuck – I don’t recognize this cosplay but I am sure that we’ll see a ton of this one if only based on my experience at AnimeNEXT.
Things that I want to See
1) Legend of the Galactic Heroes – Every year a few new fans join our ranks and that means there are a few new cosplays. I’m excited to see if there will ever be enough for a photoshoot.
2) Lupin III- This applies to any and every incarnation. This is a pretty easy one but you don’t always see it. I’m looking forward to seeing a good variety of things.
3) Space Adventure Cobra – I got into the show last summer and honestly I’m surprised that I didn’t see some cosplayers of this. It’s such an easy costume. Maybe next year with Discotek releasing the movie on DVD.
4) Mawaru Penguin Drum – I watched a little bit of this show last year and enjoyed it. I hope to see at least of the Princess of the Crystals.
5) Polar Bear Café—I don’t really expect too many of this one given that most of the costumes will be pretty bulky and uncomfortable. Still I would love to go to this photoshoot to see if there are any creative gajinka out there of this one.
6) Space Battle Ship Yamato – This is another one where there are a few each year. I will find them, maybe this got new fans with Yamato 2199, however, that is entirely a silly idea.
7) Kids on the Slope – I hope to see a few groups of this one, however, identifying them might be hard to pull off. It might be nice to see some people in shirts and long pants on this hottest day of the year.